Saturday, July 11, 2009

Garden update - mid July

Ripe Raspberries! I have never grown Raspberries before and they are such a treat. They are, of course, so much better than anything you can buy. Something about pulling them right off and popping them in your mouth.

Likewise with Blueberries! This will be our 2nd summer for Blueberries. We planted out 15 one gallon pots in a designated area with individual deer cages around each plant. They are still little bushes but they are cranking out the berries and seem pretty darn happy. I dream blissfully about 4 ft. high and wide blueberry bushes with hundreds of berries. Plenty to eat our fill, share or sell.

Potatoes! I harvested the first potatoes today to make my GGF's super easy roast potatoes for dinner. I started digging under the plants and eventually decided to just pull up one on the end of the row. I got a good handful or 2 of beautiful small delicate potatoes, plenty for roasted/herbed potatoes for dinner.

GGF's Easy Roasted Herb Potatoes

Fingerling potatoes, sliced into 1/2 - 1 inch pieces
Splash or two of olive oil, stir to cover all pieces with oil
Herb du Provance or herbs of choice chopped up and added to mixture
Garlic or sprinkle or garlic salt
Salt and pepper

Roast at 375 for 15 or so minutes. I just use my toaster oven and it works great.

They were so darn yummy I am having a hard time describing. But, something about how smooth and creamy the texture was and the almost non-existent potato skin made a big impression.

Flowers on the beans. Peas, peas, and tons of peas. I still have lettuce, mustard and kale.

Corn is about 3 -4 ft. high now with the pumpkins going to town as well. We are going to have some serious pumpkins this year.

There are a couple of summer squashes that are almost ready to pick. I better not space out too long and watch them turn into huge unusable blimps.

We even had a little summer thundershower with a little rain this afternoon. Cool.

3 comments:

Bluestem said...

There are no such things as "huge unusable blimps." There are only "Opportunities for Zucchini Bread."

deirdre said...

Yay! Fresh from the ground fingerlings are one of the best kept secrets! Glad you are enjoying them so much - we never think of potatoes as being one of the veggies that suffers from shelf time, but one taste of these delicate tubers newly scrubbed of the earth can't help but make you a convert! Enjoy!!!

My Blue Hubbard plant is about to star in my next post. It's 12 feet long...and showing no signs of slowing down! Help!

Jake Dillon said...

I love Zucchini bread! Almost as much as those roasted potatoes.

Got a good recipe? I would love to try to make it gluten free?

Related Posts with Thumbnails