Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sunday Pot Roast

Thanks goes to my GGF, Deirdre, for making me buy a Crock Pot last year. I bought it for myself, wrapped it up and put it under the tree for Christmas. We are pretty no-nonsense about gifts around here.

I am not a super-duper foodie like she is. Wish I was! Man alive, she is a great cook. Don't even get me started on her crab cakes! But I will admit that Jake and I can make a mighty good pot roast.

From our Crock Pot to yours:

Pot Roast ala' Dillon

Hunk of beef
Onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
handful of baby carrots
5 or so small potatoes, cut into quarters
1/2 sweet potato diced
Splash or so of Red wine
Beef Bouillon or stock
Olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
Salt & pepper
Worcestershire Sauce
Simply Organic brown gravy mix or flour or corn starch to thicken

Saute onion, garlic & celery in olive oil until limp. Place hunk of beef in pan and sear each side while veggies are becoming translucent. Splash with some red wine and stir. Place all into warmed up Crock Pot. Add bay leaf, carrots, potato (both sweet and regular) and couple of good healthy tsp. of Worcestershire Sauce and water or beef stock to cover.

Let cook for half way, 3-4 hours, and add a little more wine or stock so it doesn't dry out. Wouldn't want to be short on the gravy. All told, it takes a good 6 hours to cook a pot roast.

When it is done, I add the Simply Organic brown gravy mix to thicken the sauce. You could also use a flour or cornstarch mixture to thicken.

Under cooking a pot roast will be a very sad occasion. In fact, it is literally impossible to overcook a pot roast. So, let it go all day. The beef should fall apart in little strings or my kids won't even eat it.

Bon Appetite!

1 comment:

deirdre said...

Yum! When's dinner?? ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails