Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Swim lessons: highs and lows

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Basically, swim lessons for Shea this year have been great. The teachers and patient and supportive and know that he needs a little bit extra; communication, focus and time.

All and all it has been good but today...not so much.

You know, a lot of this has to do with personality styles. And, trust me, I know what can work with Shea.

Do you push hard and nag and force? No. My kid is the most stubborn little critter I have ever encountered. I am sure the instructor thought that she was just being persistent but it got out of hand.

So what do you do? Do you get wily and creative and use reverse psychology? Yes, and every other trick in the book. This shouldn't be rocket science, right? I mean they only have to deal with him for half and hour. I get the rest of the time!

The swim instructor this morning was berating him for not putting his face in the water and would not let it go.

I had to say, from the side of the pool, "He has never put his face in the water and is, in fact, pretty scared of it." Somehow I doubt if he was inclined to try with that sort of technique.

Actually pretty annoying to have to explain that to an instructor who is teaching level 1 swimming. Hello?

I could tell he just was checking out and just wanted to swim by himself but, you know, I paid for these blasted lessons and you sort of want your kid to be able to soldier on.

Well, he did. But, I don't think I could take it again.

Sometimes it just doesn't work.

Sometimes he is better of on his own.

1 comment:

mommy~dearest said...

Absolutely. It took us 3 years, but we finally found an instructor who gives J the attention he needs, but also room to "do his thang" when he needs to also.

Related Posts with Thumbnails