Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My tween

Has the term "tween" been around long enough to solidify in our lexicon? If not, I'll explain.

Wiki says:

"Tween" or Preadolescence: the stage between middle childhood and adolescence in human development, generally in the age range of 10 to 12 years of age.

Yep, this is what I am talking about. I see it everyday. Wide swings between; moodiness, the grumps, the sillys and back again. Moods change quickly and little bits of information fluff out during transitions.

Bullys, mean girls stuff, what a boy said to her on the bus, getting in trouble in class. She tends to sit on information, digesting it but usually shares eventually. I can only pray that continues.

She says she has a guilty conscious. She means that when she does something "wrong" then she feels guilty. Right now, it's stuff like saying "hell" at school. "I wish I didn't have such a guily conscious." she pouts.

"Your conscious is the traffic sign inside yourself that tells you when not to do stuff. I am glad you have a good solid conscious. I hope it will keep you safe." I say.

"What if I have already done something that I feel bad about?"

"Then you hopefully won't do it again."

These days, it is not unusual for Molly to initially be grumpy or moody about pretty much everything; activities, functions, etc. Even if she wanted to do them in the first place but grumpy about it when the time comes.

I try not to pay too much attention. My new barometer is: will she be jollied out of the grumps by the end. And, usually that is the case. She grumps into voice lesson and boings out. She grumps about tennis camp but then loves it.

Basically, she is a very up, enthusiastic person. So, getting to know this grumpy, moody person is like....well...honestly...looking back at myself when I was that age. A scary thought indeed.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails