Thursday, March 5, 2009

Self medication

Since I am usually blogging to the special parent community, medications may be very close to home. I give a sympathetic nod to those of you working through which and what medications are going to help in your particular situation. My thoughts are with you, Busy Intersection. XOX

Many medications come in little bottles; dazzlingly colorful, mind bogglingly expensive with tongue twister names that your insurance company will probably not cover.

But, some medications can be self prescribed and come in the form of a fruity, slightly tart Chardonnay made right here in Eastern Washington. Or my personal preference, beer.

I am a beer gal; always have been. I am lucky enough to have grown up (post age 21) in a state with one of the first micro brews, Red Hook Brewery. Ahh.... Those were the days. Now, of course, Red Hook is owned by Anheuser Busch. And, that, my friends, may say it all. Needless to say, I don't drink that anymore.

Right now, my personally favorite is Deschutes Brewery, Mirror Pond Pale Ale brewed and bottled in O-so-beautiful Bend, OR.

"Mirror Pond is just a short walk from the Deschutes Brewery & Public House in downtown Bend and reflects the Three Sisters Mountains. This scenic spot alongside the Deschutes River is the locals’ choice for summer festivals and concerts.

The quintessential American pale ale, Mirror Pond elegantly blends the sweetness of malted barley with the bite of hops (which add bitterness and aroma). It's refreshing, loaded with strong hop flavors, and perfectly balanced."


I prefer it on draft but rarely get the chance these days as we have small children and that tends to deter going out much. But, I can certainly live with bottled beer especially if the alternative is no beer at all.

This is where I say, please be responsible about self medicating. Alcohol is highly addictive and the last thing we need, as special parents or any parents at all, is to loose control. Do not drive when imbibing, etc. etc. So, please take care. My personal code is: don't drink until 5:00 PM and then don't go drive afterward. Be safe, folks.

Also, when in doubt, go for quality vs. quantity.

So, if a glass of wine or a couple of brews takes the edge off the hard, hard work you do then so be it! You deserve it.

Cheers!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails