Monday, November 17, 2008

Good morning!

After I had Molly, 10 years ago, I had horrible acid reflux that just didn't go away. I was on prescription medication for a long time but wanted to try to handle it with diet. Something that the doctor never suggested; they wanted to do surgery. Go figure.

I went to Bastyr Clinic and they suggested I start with a morning smoothie. It really, really helped immediately and I have been having it every morning since. Something with the blackberries really helps with balancing stomach acid I was told as Bastyr.

I love it because you can customize it quite easily. So, welcome to my morning ritual. In my house it's call Mommy's Kefir and I don't really feel quite right without it. Here is how I do it but feel free to personalize it for you and yours.

In blender combine:

2 cups non-citrus juice (apple, grape, carrot or blueberry)
Big dollop or about 1 cup of plain yogurt with active cultures (like Nancy's)
12 brick of soft tofu, I use Mori-Nu
1 banana
hand full of frozen blackberries or boysenberries
2 tablespoon Psyllium (pure dietary fiber)
1 tsp. Nordic Naturals fish oil (Omega 3 & 6) Nordic Naturals

Blend until smooth. Makes enough for large breakfast portion with a little more for a light lunch or snack. Warning: if you use the Psyllium it will get very thick the longer it sits.

Incidentally, I was able to manage the reflux with diet alone and rarely have any heart burn problem anymore.

Also, as an added bonus, I like to think it is mellowing my pre-menopausal symptoms probably due to all the natural estrogen I am getting with the tofu. I don't really know if that is true but if I miss it for a couple of days then I start having hot flashing/night sweats.

Try it! You might like it!

Cheers!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails