Friday, October 24, 2008

Doing without the big kid for 5 whole days?


Does anyone remember going to camp in 5th grade? I don't; but, we lived on the Hood Canal at the time, just the sort of place that city kids would come for camp. So, maybe they didn't think we needed it. Also, that was back in the 70's and those were tough economic times for everyone. Maybe no one could afford it back then.

Now, it's all the rage to ship your 5th graders off with their class to a wilderness camp for the week. Molly leaves on Monday morning.

It goes without saying how I love my daughter; she is the sparkly, bubbly, super fabulous Molly. There is nobody like her and I adore her immensely. But, wow, she can be a colossal pain in the keester. She has a special innate skill of tormenting Shea in the most amazing way. Fine talents that only big sisters possess. But, she is the brightest star in his universe, the most exciting game in his playbook; his beloved Yaya.

What am I going to do for 5 days and 4 nights? What is Shea going to do?

Here's to wilderness camp, baby. May you learn all sorts of stuff about how to make new friends and get along with all kinds of people. May you actually enjoy the ho-down where you are made to square dance with boys. I hope you like the food, schedule, cabin mates and the science curriculum; and I can't wait to hear all about it. Dress warm because I won't be there to bug you about it.

I guess it's time to let go, just a little bit.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails